Supporting internships in the arts and culture sector
We’ve got an offer for you. You may have already worked out what it is. Something to do with free listings for internships on Artful Jobs or something.
If you want to advertise a paid internship AND your organisation is a charity or other not-for-profit working in the arts and culture sector then, when listing your job, enter the code INTERNS at the checkout when asked for a coupon.
Click on Post a job to get started.
Simple as that. Please share this joyous news with others.
Here’s the longer version
Artful Jobs is trying to do two things:
- Help arts and culture organisations to find the best people for their jobs. Those organisations can only be as good as the people working in them.
- Help good people to find good quality jobs.
Blissfully simple, right? Huh. Sure. We’re doing ok though. Artful Jobs is a relatively new site but we’re growing at a swift pace and now reaching TENS of thousands of people.
Not that everything’s rosy. We were as sad as anyone when IdeasTap shut up shop earlier in the year. That was bad news, because they were doing important work. There are lots of people trying to get a toe-hold in this sector and it’s not easy for everyone, especially those who can’t afford to take on free work to build up their CVs.
So as part of Aim #2 (the helping good people bit) we’re making listings for paid internship free to add to this site.
We’ve found that the very modest fee for listing a job on Artful Jobs. Modest as it is (have you seen what some others people charge?), we’ve noticed that it’s too big a barrier for lower paid jobs. Which is a shame. So, if it looks like nobody’s likely to pay for those job listings, why not just give them away? That way everyone’s a winner. So that’s what we’re doing.
How to get your free internship listing
Firstly, make sure that:
- your organisation is a charity or other not-for-profit working in the arts and culture sector; and
- you’re offering a paid internship (or one that’s part of a recognised further or higher education course). If you’re not following the ACE/Creative & Cultural Skills guidelines then we may not accept the listing.
- Click on Post a job
- Click on the ‘Listing Details‘ button. Add your job details.
- Click the ‘Preview‘ button and check all is well.
- Click the ‘Submit Listing‘ button
- Click where it says ‘Click here to enter your code‘ and enter the code INTERNS.
Please note, this applies to Standard listings only. You can use this coupon as many times as you like until it is withdrawn (not that we have a date in mind for that just yet).
All listings are checked before they go live. We reserve the right not to publish a listing for whatever reason.
I don’t have an internship to advertise. What about me!?
If you’ve got another job to list then go right ahead. Our rates are very reasonable indeed. Beyond that, you could just follow this simple list of actions.
Firstly, pass this on to organisations that might benefit. If you know anyone working at a theatre, or a museum, or an arts centre or what have you, then send them a link to this article.
Secondly, if you know anyone who’s looking to catch their break in the arts (or find their next job, for that matter) then send them a link to this site.
Finally, don’t forget to look after yourself in all of this. Sign up to the mailing list if you haven’t already.